Google has put a huge emphasis on site and page speed, and rightfully so. More than half of all Google searches are done on mobile devices so speed has to be a huge factor if we’re going to deliver a great user experience. Page speed plays a major role in your overall web authority and your search ranking.
The EWWW Image Optimizer plugin is a free image optimization tool that works directly on your web server. Or, depending on the hosting company you use, the EWWW I.O. Cloud API can be used to compress & resize JPG, PNG, and GIF images as well as PDF files.
- Compresses every image size generated by WordPress, to ensure your images are optimized on every device, no matter the screen size.
- Optimizes Retina images to ensure you have high quality and high performance.
- Compatible with WP Offload S3 and W3TC’s CDN uploader, Azure Storage, and Dreamspeed CDN.
- Optimize any folder on your server, including your active theme and any child theme.
- Built-in resizing to make sure contributors don’t upload huge images and overwhelm your server.
- WP-CLI support for power users.
- WPML Compatibility for international audiences.
- Full integration with NextGEN and FlaGallery, plus the ability to optimize any gallery with the folder selector.
It’s not just the way the image looks once it has loaded onto your website (tho that is important for a great user experience). It’s also the impact that the image has on the website and it’s load time that make this an important tool. I use the Cloud version with my WP Engine account and on all of my websites. It’s super easy, pretty quick and seems to do a great job. The plugin is free and installs in seconds. It also has a handy Bulk Optimize option so you can just have it go through all of the images in your media library with a couple of clicks. And the plugin developer has good info available on his website to help you get acclimated. I’ve been extremely happy with this image optimization tool and highly recommend it. You can download the plugin by clicking this button: